May 18, 2009

Good to the Last Drop, Part I

In an effort to minimize waste and in the true spirit of recycling, I save every bit of excess clay that I generate. Here are some scraps from smoothing the edges on my garden stakes. They are so picturesque in their own way; I often frustrate my creative juices trying in vain to figure out what could be done with such perfectly delicious curlicues of clay. Just for indulgent fun, I once even plunked some down onto a kiln shelf and bisque fired them! Of course they emerged more permanent but alas, they still refused to communicate their purpose to me.

My kids like breaking them up into little bits...it's almost as much fun being the first and lucky person who gets to drag a knife across the top of a new tub of butter. My kids fight over that one. I think I'll buy two tubs next time just to avoid the conflict. And maybe an extra one just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment